Popular Posts

Monday, September 11, 2017

Mini Monday- When those Rules finally come


Now many of us have something I call the Forgotten Legions.
These are those projects that were started long ago and completed
for the most part,  but because of various circumstances never saw or only had a limited amount of table
time. 
In my case I have a Dystopian VSF fleet that my wife painted up for me but in the end I found the rules to tedious
so it's been gathering dust for years.
An army of Roman styled Gorillas, Centuars and Dwarves that I painted up on a whim but never found a set of rules
that I liked for them.
And finally several forces for the Indian Mutiny that got rotated through various rulesets over the years, but none ever really stuck.
Of course my list goes on but the main thread here is the absence of rules which tickle my fancy.
Yeah a lot of us have this problem.
But then comes that glorious day when a new (at least for you) rulebook comes along and Bam! It's the one that sets you on fire!
And best of all, you already have the figures painted and ready to go! Oh what a wonderful day it is when you dust off those Forgotten Legions.

Over the past few years several rules have arrived that brought not only my legions out into the light but also those of many fellow gamers.


Lion Rampant and later Dragon Rampant.
Who knew there were that many Medieval figs in the area! Oh and the legendary fantasy  figs of old that came out when Dragon Rampant
was released. Ral Partha, Grenadier, Marauder slugging it out with the newer GW stuff. ,Needless to say my Roman Gorillas got the run of the table.


Men who would be Kings
I dragged my hills on this one a bit till I read an article in one of the glossy mags, so we gave it a try. Eureka! Suddenly Don was digging out his
various colonial forces, so many in fact that we missed that 'get things painted first stage'  My Mutineers also got a lot of table time, which especially felt good
if you think about all those hours I spent painting them.




Imperial Skies
Another set of rules that I overlooked when it came out, that is until Allen finally dropped them on me. A evening perusing the rules and Wham Bang it suddenlly occured to me that they would be perfect for that Federated States of America fleet that I've never used. Played last Thursday and success! Got two more games planned this week.

Ah the joy, when those Forgotten Legions finally get to shine!
 

No comments: